June 24th, 2010: Seven Posts To Read

A couple of days ago, I had a little more time than normal to sit down and go through the dozens of blogs that I follow either through RSS or email. And it was perhaps one of the most rewarding blog reading sessions I’ve had in a while, as with the extra time on my hands, I was able to fully digest and enjoy so many posts that I came across.

Naturally, I wanted to share a few of the great posts that I found with you and that’s what I’ve aimed to do below. My original list included nineteen posts and in order to cut that list down, I just decided to pick seven of those at random. So if you have a blog and you wrote a wonderful post this week which I failed to mention here, my apologies! Feel free to leave a comment below so that I’ll know who you are and I’ll then head over to your site and have a read.

Blog: A Little Adrift
Post: A Little Questionable…Yep, A Guatemalan Drug Bust

Shannon’s eye-opening story reminds us of why it may be a good idea to carry around our passports (or at least a photocopy) instead of leaving them inside our hotel/hostel rooms when we travel. As you’ll see, Shannon was lucky enough not to end up in jail, but there were plenty of other travelers in San Pedro, Guatemala who weren’t so fortunate.

Blog: The Longest Way Home
Post: Food From The Phillipines: Rambutan

What a moment when I discovered a post about one of my favorite fruits on the planet, one that I miss dearly whenever I’m not in Asia. And so I just had to share this post as I’m curious if anyone else has ever tried, and become addicted to, wonderful rambutan!

Blog: Suzy Guese
Post: Embracing Tourist Season

Instead of trying to avoid the crowds associated with high tourist seasons, why not approach these busy times of year with a different perspective? Suzy offers some convincing reasons as to why traveling among the throngs of other tourists may not be such a terrible idea after all.

Blog: Todd’s Wanderings
Post: “Real” Life, Travel & Work: Lessons From 10 Years On The Road

If you’ve ever had difficulty dealing with the notion of breaking free from society’s expectations of you, this post will give you an extra nudge in the right direction. Todd share’s his thoughts on the ‘real world’ and why settling down is not the only option, all while explaining how he made the realization one day that he was already living the life he wanted most.

Blog: Uncornered Market
Post: Living Outside Your Comfort Zone

As you might guess by the title, Audrey and Dan discuss the importance of living outside your comfort zone, while offering some well-tested advice on how to do just that. And considering that they have now been traveling for 1296 days, these two have been out of their comfort zone more than most…or have they?

Blog: Twenty-Something Travel
Post: Twenty-Something Travel Goes Round the World: FAQ

In just a few months, Stephanie will be taking off on a one year (or more!) round-the-world adventure. And now she’s answered all of the questions she’s been asked by those who might not understand why she’s leaving her current life behind. Such questions include, “Are you going alone?” and the more direct, “WHAT are you doing, you crazy girl?”

Blog: Sending Postcards
Post: Car Accident In Cairo

This photo post (with captions) is simply hilarious and had me laughing out loud for quite a while. And if you’ve ever witnessed a similar accident during your travels, I’m sure your reaction to these photos will be the same as mine.

Happy Thursday everyone! And for those of you out there on the road, safe travels!

Follow Along! If you enjoy what you've read so far, please consider following along via Email -- RSS -- Twitter -- Facebook as I continue to prove that a life of constant travel is not as crazy an idea as it may sound.

Want to live a life of travel as well? Be sure to check out these useful travel resources!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to June 24th, 2010: Seven Posts To Read

1. Suzy says:

Thanks for the mention here Earl! I have read a few of these, but I will sit down to the others today. Loved Todd’s post about balancing travel, work and life.
    .-= Suzy´s last blog ..Conquering The “Travel” Aspect To Solo Travel =-.

Hey Suzy – Thanks for commenting and I’m sure that won’t be the last post of yours that I’ll want to highlight!

2. Great list of excellent blogs to read. Looking forward to next week when I can sit down with a coffee and check them out. Some of the above are our favorite blogs and others, I am looking foward to reading for the first time. Thanks!
    .-= Dave and Deb´s last blog ..What to Pack for an Alaskan Cruise =-.

Hey Dave and Deb – Thanks for stopping by as always and I hope you do get a chance next week to take a break and just relax! And perhaps I’ll have a chance to meet you in person later on today at TBEX!

3. Hey Earl, thnx again for highlighting these posts. I just read and commented on every single one of them!

Best,

Sam
    Yakezie Lifestyle
    .-= Financial Samurai´s last blog ..West Coast Living – Yes It Really Is That Much Better- =-.

4. Some great suggestions for blogs, Earl! Some of them I had read, some of them I hadn’t.
    Thanks for pointing them out! :)
    .-= Maria Staal´s last blog ..Short Quest Break =-.

5. Haha, thanks for poiting out these articles and I loved the car accident in Cairo! I’m sure there is always something interesting going on in Cairo!
    .-= Migration Mark´s last blog ..Hot Dogs and Japan Collide with Japadog! =-.

Hey Mark – I’m glad to know you found that post to be quite amusing as well! Even after five times of looking at it I still start laughing. And I think scenes such as this are never-ending in many of the bigger cities around the world. It reminded me of the inexplicable street scenes that I would witness in many large Asian cities.

6. Shannon OD says:

Thank you so much for inclusion Earl! You also pointed me to a couple others I had not yet read, so thanks! :-)

My pleasure Shannon. I think that carrying ID is something that few people may consider when traveling and so it is well worth a read.

7. Audrey says:

Thanks for the mention here of our comfort zone post. Your website is often a source of inspiration for us as well!
    .-= Audrey´s last blog ..El Chalten, Argentina: A Beer, A Walk, A Patagonia Slideshow =-.

8. Todd says:

Hi Earl, Thanks for the mention and for the great posts that I missed. Seems to be something in the air this week as many of us our reflecting on our life decisions.
    .-= Todd´s last blog ..World Cup in Kosovo: politics and football =-.

Hey Todd – There have been a lot of reflective posts lately. And it’s encouraging that most people seem perfectly satisfied so far with their decision to ‘break-free’ and create their own version of the real world!