How To Get A Job On Board Cruise Ships

Over the past few months, every now and then, I’ve mentioned that I’ve been working on a variety of new projects. And while at times it seems as if some of these projects will drag on for another 30 years without ever being finished, I am thrilled to announce that one of these projects has now been completed!

So why am I even bothering to make this announcement? Well, even though I normally prefer to avoid talking about my current income-generating endeavors on my blog, this case is a little different.

This project, which has forced me to work 90 hours per week for quite some time now, has the potential to benefit some of you, or perhaps many of you, or maybe even other people that you may know.

How can I be so sure?

I base this belief on the fact that barely a day goes by without a friend, a reader or even a complete stranger, asking me the one question I love to hear:

Can you help me get a cruise ship job?

I love to hear that question because in all honestly, had I never worked on board cruise ships, there is no way I would still be traveling today. In short, with the money I saved during my 5 years as a Tour Manager on board ships, I’ve been able to gain enough freedom for me to not only continue traveling, but to spend time working on creating the life I truly want to lead.

Of course, it wasn’t all about the money. Combine the savings with the amazing friendships I made and the dozens of countries I explored as part of my job and you can understand why I’m thankful every single day for the time I spent working on board cruise ships. As a result, the mere thought of someone else experiencing the very same life-changing benefits that I’ve enjoyed, is enough to get me pumped up and ready to assist in any way possible.

LET ME INTRODUCE MY NEW PROJECT:

How to Work on a Cruise Ship

Yes, it’s a guide to getting a job on board cruise ships.

And if I’m allowed to say so, this guide is AWESOME! I absolutely couldn’t be happier with the results and so far, the feedback has been nothing but exceptional.

So, if working on board a cruise ship is something you, or someone you know, may be interested in, I highly recommend checking out the official site of my new guide:

www.HowToWorkOnACruise.com

Without repeating the information you’ll find on the website, all I can say is that I’m certain you won’t be disappointed (especially when you see the bonus I’m giving away as well)!

So have a look and let me know what you think. :) And as I’m a firm believer that working on board cruise ships is one of the most underutilized paths to freedom out there, I sincerely hope that at least a handful of you will find the finished product to be more than useful…

SPREADING THE WORD

As it’s just not my style to randomly ask people to promote something for me, I’d rather put it this way. If you believe that your blog readers, Facebook fans or Twitter followers may be interested in this material, then I would greatly appreciate any efforts to help spread the word as much as you see fit. If you don’t feel they’d benefit, that’s perfectly cool as well, no problem at all!

Also, I do offer a generous affiliate program with this product and if you’re interested in signing up as an affiliate, just send me a quick email and I’d be more than happy to walk you through the easy process of getting started.

How to Work on a Cruise Ship Guide

Most importantly, if any of you are interested in a lifestyle where, as my good friend and cruise ship colleague always says, “every day is another day living the dream”, I’m more than ready to help you make that lifestyle a reality: www.HowToWorkOnACruise.com

And of course, if you have any questions about the guide or about working on board cruise ships in general, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below or email me directly.

Follow Along! If you enjoy what you've read so far, please consider following along via Email -- RSS -- Twitter -- Facebook as I continue to prove that a life of constant travel is not as crazy an idea as it may sound.

Want to live a life of travel as well? Be sure to check out these useful travel resources!
This entry was posted in Travel Tips & Advice, Work & Travel and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to How To Get A Job On Board Cruise Ships

1. Pingback: The Free Cruise Challenge | Live Smart Not Hard

2. Pingback: Crazy Nomad: Why I Chose to Live and Work in Saudi Arabia | Banker in the Sun

3. Sahil says:

Hey Earl,
    I want work in cruise and recently i finished my study in tourism and travel. I keenly want to join this field. I do not have any experience in field yet. Can you please guide me that how should i start and where should i look up.

4. martin says:

Hi what are the best ways to get promotion while working on a cruise ship

5. Artur says:

Earl,
    I followed the steps from your book, sent some applications a week ago, and still don’t have any reply. Could you please tell me how to make the follow-up as mentioned in your guide? I didn’t find an email address for carnival cruises, nor the phone number..
    Thanks!

6. Pingback: Carnival Cruises: Serenity and Fun for Family Travel | y Travel Blog

7. Congrats on creating the guide Earl. I discarded my dream of working on a cruise ship until I met someone who did it. And even then it was a hassle to find all the information you need – they don’t make it easy! I’ve since been working on cruise ships since Jan 2010.

So it’s good that you’ve come out with a guide.

Anyway, just one criticism – saying that you’ll save $2,000 – $6,000 per month is an exaggeration. Sure no problem if you’re the Captain or Marine officer. But I imagine most people who’d buy your guide would be going for Entertainment, Retail, Spa, Photo, F&B. Very few of those guys would earn $2k let alone save it per month if they aren’t in management. At least not on my cruise ship.

I saved more money when I was working in Toronto. But cruise ship work let’s me travel and live in perpetual summer. So for me, it’s worthwhile!

Hey Roy – Thanks for sharing your thoughts and that’s great that you’re on board ships! Which cruise line are you working for?

I am quite surprised about what you said in terms of saving money. In my 5+ years on board ships (3 different cruise lines), I definitely found it quite normal for a crew member to save $2000/month. Even my staff in the Shore Excursion department earned well over $2000/month. Of course, this amount would be impossible for certain positions but in terms of those positions that readers of this guide would be interested in, I think that number is fair.

Now I’m curious which ship you’re on :)

• Earl I’m happy to tell you privately but for obvious reasons I can’t disclose it in a public forum :)

Not sure how long ago you worked on cruise ships, but my shipmates who’ve been onboard (different major cruise lines) for years have said that commissions & tips are much less now than in previous years – and our wages are comparable to other lines.
        The industry is very competitive, so there’s been lots of cost cutting and no wage increases.

All I can say is from personal experience, it’s fair to aim for $1000-1500 savings a month. Realistically people will want to go to the crew bar, eat out, do touristy things, buy stuff and enjoy their free time. Not trying to discourage anyone, just that it’s important to have the right expectations.

8. Rob says:

Since you have such a good blog, I’ll check out your guide. I particularly enjoyed reading your latest post about your endeavour with customs!

9. Pingback: I Want To Thank Each & Every One Of You | Wandering Earl

10. Great job and congratulations Earl. It must feel great to finally see all your hard work make its way out into the world.

Thanks Todd! As soon as the first sale came in I was able to take a huge breath of relief, knowing that the past few months of intense work will at least help one person out!

11. Gray says:

What a great idea for an ebook, Earl! There’s definitely a mystique about working for cruise ships and most people have no idea how to go about getting a job on one. Kudos.

Hey Gray – That’s exactly how the idea started. Nobody knows how to start the process of getting a cruise ship job and the reliable information they need simply doesn’t exist. Now that problem is solved! :)

Thanks for the comment!

12. vewe says:

Nice site and Congrats on the new project! :)

I turned down an offer to work on a cruise-line long time ago, now you got me tempted hehe :)

13. Hey Earl, congratulations on finishing this project! The site looks very good and I hope you will sell loads of books.
    Funny that you are just a step ahead of me. My book will come out next month and I need to set up a similar site for it. Seeing yours gives me lots of inspiration. :)

Hey Maria – Glad to know you’re officially only a month away from your book launch. Congratulations! Now just go and get that website made and stay inspired!

14. Nate says:

So cool! Great work and I hope you sell a million copies.

15. Nice job on the site! It’s looking good. I remember looking into this back when I was a much younger lad and always came up empty handed. Good luck with the project and take a break already!

If you’d like, I’d be happy to do a short write up about it over at Vagabond Guide.
    .-= Adam Mayfield´s last blog ..Automatic Doors – Living Life Without Them =-.

Hey Adam – It’s pretty much still the same today. If someone really wants to learn how to get a job on ships, there is almost no reliable information out there (that I’ve come across anyway). Of course, that’s the case no longer! :)

I’d love for you to do a write up on Vagabond Guide, thanks so much for the offer. I’ll send you an email in just a moment…

16. Randall says:

Have not been following you that long and didn’t know you worked on a cruise ship! Cool product you have. Never would of thought about working on a cruise ship.

You are full of surprises, that’s why I keep coming back!

Going to Twitter to Tweet this..
    .-= Randall´s last blog ..Philippine Travel through the eye of a White Guy =-.

Hey Randall – Full of surprises, I like it. I’ll try my best to keep them coming! And thanks so much for the RTs of this post!

17. Earl, you keep unleashing so many cool ideas and tips! Site looks great, will pass the word along!
    .-= Migrationology´s last blog ..Thai Desserts Khanom Wan Thai- The Ultimate Thailand Sweets Guide =-.

18. Hey Earl,

Congrats on releasing the product, seems like a great idea for a product!

Here’s my question: how much more difficult (or even possible?) would it be to get a job on a cruise ship with your significant other together? Doesn’t necessarily need to be the same job, but same ship.

Congrats again!
    Jason
    .-= Jason Demant´s last blog ..Traveling For A Year Isn’t Luck =-.

Hey Jason – That’s definitely a valid question and the general answer is that it depends on the cruise line. For example, while some cruise lines don’t like the idea of couples working on the same ship, others openly welcome it, believing that it helps keep the two crew members even happier. The last cruise line I worked for, Cunard Line, is more than happy to hire couples, as is Carnival, which happens to be the biggest cruise line in operation.

That’s not to say that it isn’t a bit of a challenge. The chances of both of you having matching contracts (that start and end on the same day as each others) is not very high, although, the cruise line will often work with you to ensure that your contracts are as close together as possible. And sometimes certain crew members are required to extend their contract or switch to another ship for a few weeks in order to help out, so there can be some random surprises thrown in.

However, at the end of the day, working on board ships as a couple is more than possible. In fact, on my last ship, it seemed as if I was the only person who wasn’t hired along with their significant other!

Feel free to comment again or send me an email if you have any other questions. I’d be more than happy to help out as best I can.

• syd says:

Hey Earl,

I’ll be purchasing this guide pretty soon but am also concerned about being able to have my significant other on board with me. From your response above, I can see that it is possible :) However, does that apply to lesbian couples as well? Or do we have to pretend to be sisters? lol

Hey Syd – Pretending to be sisters is definitely not necessary :)

I actually have a section inside of the book that provides details on how to apply as a couple, so just follow those same steps as well and you should be all set!

19. Congrats on the launch! Gonna check it out now. That’s what niche selling/marketing is all about!
    .-= Financial Samurai´s last blog ..How To Get Girls If You Live At Home With Mom & Dad =-.

Hey Sam – Hopefully you liked what you saw after checking it out! This is definitely a great niche and one that I really feel I can use my experience to make a difference in…time will tell I guess!

20. Alan says:

Site looks fantastic, Earl. Congrats to you and Liz for working so hard to get this off the ground!
    .-= Alan´s last blog ..Gaborone- Botswana- Lost Luggage- Developmental Success and Idle Travel =-.

21. Adam says:

Inspiring stuff Earl. Whilst I’m quite happy living on dry land I think what you’ve put together is amazing and I can feel your passion dripping from every word of the sales page. Good luck (and I think you’re pricing this too low!)
    .-= Adam´s last blog ..The Freedom and Liberty of a Saver =-.

Thanks so much Adam! I’m definitely passionate about the opportunities that such employment can offer, so I’m happy to hear you could feel that on the website! And with the price, I’m offering it at this low price for the first week only in order to give my readers a chance to enjoy a substantial discount. After the week is over, the price will be raised…

No catch at all Phil! As for cruise ship employment, while it’s hard work, almost every crew member will agree that the rewards are simply too great to be ignored. As for my guide, I really wanted to create the most honest, detailed and useful guide available, and I’m excited about the final result!

22. Osborne says:

Congrats. The website looks great.

Ozzy

23. Kirsty says:

Awesome! It looks great. I remember when I was in unversity the only way to get cruise info was to buy a book. I wonder if they’re still around and made the transition to the online world.

Looks great… good luck with it. It’s great when all that hard work pays off, eh?
    .-= Kirsty´s last blog ..August Earnings Report =-.

Hey Kristy – That’s the thing, the cruise employment books are completely outdated once you buy them. But the guide I put together will be automatically updated every two weeks so that all of the material is always as relevant and useful as possible. And that makes a huge difference in this ever-changing industry!

Thanks for the kind words about the site. And congrats on your excellent earnings this past month!

24. Well done Earl, I think you’ve been very hard at world on this for quite a while. I sincerely hope it works well for you!
    .-= Dave from The Longest Way Home´s last blog ..I got hit by a taxi- but that’s not the worst thing =-.

25. Erin says:

Congratulations Earl! I am sure your guide will be really helpful to lots of people. Good luck with it.
    .-= Erin´s last blog ..August Update- House Sitting &amp Stuck in Salta =-.